Sunday, October 1, 2023

Merciless Waters by Rae Knowles

Thank you to NetGalley and Brigids Gate Press. LLC for this book's ARC.

4 out of 5 st.,brars.
🌠🌠🌠🌠

The rusalka (plural: rusalki) is a feminine entity, often malicious toward mankind and frequently associated with water. Not unlike the Mermaids, said to be dark spirits wronged by men in life, often the reason for their deaths.

I've always been fascinated with sea creatures, whether they're myths or not.

Aboard the ship Scylla, there is no future or past. Jaq, her fickle lover Lily, and their all-female crew exist in an endless present. It's better this way. At least it keeps Lily by Jaq's side, where she belongs. But the meddling gods care little for Jaq's longing, and despite her protective rituals, their punishment arrives all the same.

I found myself confused when I first started reading as we were just thrown into the middle of it all, with no real oast or introduction to the world or characters. It took me to 50% or more of the book to actually catch on to what was going on, what our girls were and weren't and how everything got this way.

However, once questions started getting answered I caught on and I was able to enjoy this for what it was.

I only really liked one character and that was the snake, Ambrose.

Although, this was a fresh read, I wouldn't pick it up again as I didn't connect with it enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment