Saturday, November 4, 2023

Lizzie by Edward Rand.

Rating: 2 out of 5 stars.

Thank you to NetGalley, BloodChuckles Press, and Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA), Members' Titles for the Advanced Readers Copy (ARC) of this book.

I have a love-hate relationship with this book.

Firstly, we didn't need over 500 pages to tell us this story, and we didn't need the ADHD that was the first 10 chapters. In the beginning I had no idea what was going on and it took a long time reading to actually understand what was happening. The author would jump around with subjects, treating each like they were his most passionate subjects. However, they would then change the subject only to jump back to it a page later. It was hard to stay focused. On top of it, it's quite clear that this has not been properly edited as there were many mistakes (typos) and I found the authors constant shortening (or nicknaming) of words to be frustrating as I would often have to try and figure out what the lingo was, they were using.

Somehow, I managed to keep reading until the end and it even got interesting a few times.

The one thing I don't understand is why you would name a book about a character that isn't the main character or even the main subject until the last 8th of the book? This is not a book about Lizzie, this is a story about Lizzie's parents and then finally about the little girl. It's also about a lot of other characters and I questioned this often throughout the book. I was disappointed by the end in general.

This has been done before and often a whole lot better.

However, I will give the author credit in his determination. Also, their story-telling skills aren't bad and with a bit of work this unfinished feeling story could be quite brilliant.

It wasn't very scary which also disappointed me, I probably wouldn't recommend this, because it often comes off feeling like it's written by someone under twenty with no life experience.

The sex scenes were very male focused and felt off in the way that it seemed like the writer didn't really know what they were talking about, which is a shame.

All in all, I sometimes enjoyed the read and sometimes it was a struggle to keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment